DO – Night Time Cycle Ride
Night Time Cycle Ride
OK, cycling can be dangerous, even in the day time, but if you are well connected by cycle routes, then a night time cycle ride with the kids is great fun – and feels much more adventurous than doing the same route in the day time.
Pick a route that suits your family – the age of the kids and their abilities – and get wrapped up warm and lit-up.
Enjoy the ride, and stay safe.
Ideas for places to cycle to:
- cycle to the after school club
- cycle to the cinema
- cycle to the beach and have a fish supper
- cycle to a relatives for a chat and a cuppa tea
- cycle to the supermarket (take a rucksack for the shopping)
Tips to bear in mind:
- Wear helmets and plenty of lights
- Get the kids some reflective leg/arm bands for extra visibility
- Stay together but don’t two abreast, especially when on the road
- Stick to cycle lanes and keep your eyes open for other cyclists (who may not all have lights)
- Have a ‘goal’ for the ride e.g. to ride to the beach and have some fish and chips
- Check out the Sustrans website for details of cycle-friendly routes
- Take the usual bike maintenance backpack (pump, repair kit, spanners etc) but make sure you have a few spare batteries in case any lights dim during the trip
Here’s a short video Amy made of our evening bike ride this week.